Volunteer Needed: County Zoning Commission
Des Moines County is seeking an interested candidate to fill a position on its Planning and Zoning Commission. One of the existing members intends to resign, once a qualified replacement has been identified. The following qualifications are required:
- Must live in Des Moines County, outside the corporate limits of any city (Burlington, West Burlington, Mediapolis, Danville and Middletown).
- Must be available to attend regular meetings at 5:30 PM – meet on an as-needed basis, no more than once per month, and typically 3 to 4 meetings per year. Meetings are held on either Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, depending on member availability.
The following qualifications are strongly preferred:
- Female (to ensure gender balance on the Commission)
- Lives within the south portion of the Two-Mile Zoning area outside the City of Burlington (see attached map)
This person will serve for the remainder of a 5-year term which began in January 2022, and will expire in January 2027. They will be eligible for reappointment to another 5-year term at that time.
The Des Moines County Planning and Zoning Commission is an unpaid, volunteer board comprised of 5 residents of unincorporated Des Moines County, each appointed by the Des Moines County Board of Supervisors. At least 3 of the 5 members must live within the designated Two-Mile Zoning Area, located immediately north and south of the City of Burlington.
The Commission serves to provide technical guidance to the Board of Supervisors, by reviewing and providing recommendations on the following:
- Subdivision plats
- Site plans for large commercial and industrial development
- Zoning Map Amendments (Rezoning)
- Updates to the Zoning and Subdivision Ordinances, and the County Comprehensive Plan
Each of the preceding matters requires a public hearing, in which County staff, utility providers, neighboring property owners, and other members of the general public are invited to provide comments and ask questions.
If interested in the position, please contact Jarred Lassiter at (319) 753-4321, or firstname.lastname@example.org.