100 Valley St.
Burlington, IA 52601
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Mission StatementIt is the mission of the Des Moines County Attorney's Office to "Respond to the needs and concerns of its citizens by always striving to find the truth, to seek Justice and to provide quality criminal investigations, criminal prosecutions, victim/witness services, crime prevention programs, and civil legal representation with available resources."
The County Attorney DOES:
- Prosecute all violations of state criminal laws and county ordinances.
- Provide legal advice to the Board of Supervisors, county, and township officers concerning county matters.
- Represent and defend the state, county, and its officers in officially related cases.
- Present all mental health commitment proceedings and all juvenile delinquency and child in need of assistance cases.
The County Attorney DOES NOT:
- Give legal advice to or represent private groups or persons.
- File lawsuits for private persons or defend them against lawsuits, including actions for dissolution of marriage.
- Prepare wills, deeds, or other legal documents for private individuals.
- Prepare wills, deeds, or other legal documents for private individuals
Investigate crimes, complaints, or child abuse. Please contact law enforcement or child protective services, in case of an emergency dial 911.
Non-Discrimination and Grievance Policy
Anyone who thinks they have been discriminated against by an employee of the Des Moines County Attorney’s office on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, or thinks they have been retaliated against by an employee of the Des Moines County Attorney’s Office may file a written complaint alleging such discrimination by completing the Discrimination Complaint form located at: https://www.iowaattorneygeneral.gov/manual/chapter-24-discriminationcomplaint-process/civil-rights-complaint-process
The completed form must be mailed to:
Office of the Attorney General of Iowa
Crime Victim Assistance Division
Lucas State Office Building
321 East 12th Street
Des Moines, IA 50319
Complaints can also be filed directly with:
U.S. Department of Justice
Office of Justice Programs
Office for Civil Rights (OCR)
810 7th Street NW
Washington, DC 20531