100 Valley St.
Burlington, IA 52601
319-753-8219 (Collections Fax)
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
The Des Moines County Attorney's Office is responsible for prosecuting all state criminal misdemeanors and felonies that occur in Des Moines County. It is also responsible for enforcing county ordinances and other state laws that apply to Des Moines County.
Mission StatementIt is the mission of the Des Moines County Attorney's Office to "Respond to the needs and concerns of its citizens by always striving to find the truth, to seek Justice and to provide quality criminal investigations, criminal prosecutions, victim/witness services, crime prevention programs, and civil legal representation with available resources."
The County Attorney DOES:
- Prosecute all violations of state criminal laws and county ordinances.
- Provide legal advice to the Board of Supervisors, county, and township officers concerning county matters.
- Represent and defend the state, county, and its officers in officially related cases.
- Present all mental health commitment proceedings and all juvenile delinquency and child in need of assistance cases.
The County Attorney DOES NOT:
- Give legal advice to or represent private groups or persons.
- File lawsuits for private persons or defend them against lawsuits, including actions for dissolution of marriage.
- Prepare wills, deeds, or other legal documents for private individuals.
- Prepare wills, deeds, or other legal documents for private individuals
Investigate crimes, complaints, or child abuse. Please contact law enforcement or child protective services, in case of an emergency dial 911.