Motor Vehicles


Effective January 1, 2020, the Des Moines County treasurer's office will require customers to provide a bill of sale for all vehicle and trailer transfers.  A bill of sale shall include the seller's name, make of vehicle, year of vehicle, vehicle identification number (VIN), buyer's name, date of sale, purchase price, and signature of seller.  This information may be handwritten on a piece of paper.  For your convenience, a standard bill of sale is linked below.

(Iowa Administrative Code, 701-Chapter 34.2(3))

  • All motor vehicle transfers will require a bill of sale as of January 1, 2020
  • Issuing original, replacement, salvage and in-transit vehicle titles
  • Licensing vehicles
  • Collections taxes on all motor vehicles
  • Vehicle Registration renewals - Renew Online
  • Issuing Specialty Plates - Order Specialty Plate
  • Issuing junking certificates for vehicles that are dismantled or no longer operable
  • Recording and releasing security interests
  • Applying for refunds for sold, traded or junked vehicles


Driver's License Options

The Des Moines County Motor Vehicle Department does not issue driver's licenses. Please find license information through the following organizations.

Back · Des Moines County Treasurer