Military Records

Request certified military discharge papers from Des Moines County.

Military discharge papers (DD214) may be recorded for permanent record. An original or certified is needed for filing purposes. The DD214 must be recorded before military exemption is applied toward property tax reduction.

There is no charge to record or obtain a certified copy of a military record. Military records are now closed pursuant to the Code of Iowa (331.606A). Only the veteran’s immediate family member or authorized agent is entitled to the record.

You may request a certified copy of your recorded DD214 by showing your photo id and completing the application below.

Application for DD214

For assistance obtaining a DD214 not filed with the Recorder's Office please contact:
Veterans Affairs
Phone: 319-752-7171
910 Cottonwood
Burlington, IA 52601

Back · Des Moines County Recorder